Saints and Stones: Knowes of Trotty Barrow Cemetery
Home
Saints
Stones

The Bronze Age Knowes of Trotty Barrow Cemetery is comprised of great earthen mounds that were in use from approximately 2000 B.C. to 1600 B.C. The site has been described as consisting of "a series of 16 barrows - earthen mounds, erected over individual burials - arranged in two rows." Recent excavations have increased the number to 20 barrows. In addition, recent excavations have uncovered what appears to be a dwelling associated with the cemetery.

About the Knowes of Trotty Barrow Cemetery

Orkneyjar: The Knowes of Trotty
Megalithic Portal: Knowes of Trotty
The Modern Antiquarian: Knowes of Trotty Cairns

Journey to the Knowes of Trotty Barrow Cemetery

The Knowes of Trotty Barrow Cemetery is located on minor roads off of the A986 in the Harray area of the West Mainland. Consult an OS map for the exact location.

Ordnance Survey Map (HY341175)

Visitors Information

General tourist information for Orkney may be found on the Visit Orkney website.

Additional Photos of the Knowes of Trotty Barrow Cemetery

Road Sign for Knowes of Trotty
Knowes of Trotty
Knowes of Trotty
Knowes of Trotty


Top of Page