Saints and Stones: Gurness
Home
Saints
Stones

Discovered and excavated in 1929, the Broch of Gurness is a sprawling complex that includes the remnants of a magnificent broch that was once 26 feet high and 65 feet in diameter and the remnants of several semi-detached stone buildings that were living areas containing hearths and stone furniture.

Dated to the years 100-200 A.D., the complex was entirely encircled by a number of ditches and defensive walls, which served as outer defenses.

About Gurness

Orkneyjar: Broch of Gurness
Undiscovered Scotland: Broch of Gurness
Megalithic Portal: Gurness
Ancient Scotland: Gurness
Stone Pages: Gurness
Orkneyjar: Orkney's Brochs
Wikipedia: Broch

Journey to Gurness

The Broch of Gurness is located off the A966 in the Evie area overlooking Eynhallow Sound on the eastern side of the West Mainland, Orkney, Scotland.

Ordnance Survey Map (HY383268)

Visitors Information

Visitors information may be found at the Historic Scotland website. General tourist information for Orkney may be found on the Visit Orkney website.

Additional Photos of Gurness

Descriptive Sign at the Broch of Gurness
Broch of Gurness
Broch of Gurness with Eynhallow Sound and Isle of Rousay in the Background
Pathway to Entrance of Broch of Gurness
Close-Up of Entrance
Interior of the Broch of Gurness
Interior of the Broch of Gurness
Interior of the Broch of Gurness
Interior of the Broch of Gurness
Interior of the Broch of Gurness
Exterior Wall of Broch of Gurness
The Village Surrounding the Broch of Gurness
Village Dwellings
Village Dwellings
Interior of Dwelling
Interior of Dwelling
Shamrock House, the Last Construction on the Site
Another View of the 4th-5th Century Shamrock House
View of Outer Defences
View of Outer Defenses
Quote by Orcadian Author and Poet, George MacKay Brown at Broch of Gurness Visitor Center


Top of Page