Saints and Stones: Drombeg
Home
Saints
Stones

The Drombeg Stone Circle, locally known as the Druid's Altar, is in County Cork and dates to the Bronze Age (c.1500- c. 500 BC). Originally consisting of 17 standing stones, only 13 remain today. The stone circle measures some 30 plus feet in diameter. During the winter solstice, the sun's rays fall on the flat alter stone that faces the entrance to the circle.

Nearby is a later Stone Age cooking pit called a "fulacht fiadh," and dating to 150 to 130 B.C. Originally, a fire was made in a hearth and hot stones were added to the embers to heat. These stones would then be placed in the cooking pit to heat the water for cooking. Once the water was boiling the meat, usually venison, was added. The hot stones would bring the water to a slow boil, thus cooking the meat over several hours.

About Drombeg

Stone Pages: Drombeg Stone Circle
Megalithic Portal: Drombeg Stone Circle
Wikipedia: Stone Circle
Wikipedia: Fulacht fiadh

Journey to Drombeg

Drombeg Stone Circle is located off the N71 on a minor road almost 2 miles from the village of Glandore in the western part of County Cork, Ireland.

Ordnance Survey Map (W2467235157)

Visitors Information

Visitors information for the Drombeg Stone Circle may be found at the geograph.ie website. General tourist information may be found at the Visit Cork website.

Additional Photos of Drombeg

Directions to Drombeg Stone Circle
Drombeg Stone Circle
Drombeg Stone Circle
Drombeg Stone Circle


Top of Page