The earliest record of the present church is from 1150. The church consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle and south transcept. The arcade has six semi-circular arches supported on octagonal pillars of granite.
The circular graveyard is an Iron Age site overlying the Stone and Bronze Age boundaries of this ancient land. Christianity came to Zennor
following the fall of the Roman Empire. The Saxons and Normans built churches, so the foundation of
the church could be a thousand years old. In Medieval times, the church was constantly improved and enlarged. Now people
come from all over the world to see the famous carving from those times of the Mermaid Chair.
The church was dedicated to St. Senara in the 12th Century. St. Senara is the patron saint of Zennor, but little is known of her historically. Legend connects her with Brittany.
About St. Senara's Church
The Church of England: St. Senara, Zennor
Journey to St. Senara's Church
St. Senara's Church Church is located in the town of Zennor on the B3306 between Land's End and St. Ives in the West Penwith area of Cornwall in southwest England.
Wikipedia: Parish Church of St. Senara
Wikipedia: The Mermaid of Zennor
Ordnance Survey Map (SW4538)
Visitors information for St. Senara's Church may be found at the geograph.org.uk website.
General Cornwall tourist information may be found at the Visit Cornwall website.
Photos of Zennor
St. Senara's Church (2005)
Sundial on Side of St. Senara's Church
St. Senara's Church (2011)
Front Side of Ancient Cross in Front of St. Senara's Church
Back Side of Ancient Cross in Front of St. Senara's Church
Entrance to St. Senara's Church
The Mermaid Chair in St. Senara's Church (2005)
Close-Up of Side of Mermaid Chair in St. Senara's Church (2005)
The Mermaid Chair in St. Senara's Church (2011)