Saints and Stones: White Island

White Island is an island in Lower Lough Erne in County Fermanagh. The ruins of an ancient church are found near the shore, built on the site of an earlier monastic settlement. It still has an intact arched Romanesque doorway.

The island is best known for its eight carved figures that sit in a line along the interior north wall of the church. Most were carved between 800 and 1000 A.D. and are wearing the long tunics of churchmen. Because of the sockets on the top of their heads, they may have supported a pulpit or preaching chair of an earlier possible wooden church.

It is recorded that Vikings attacked and destroyed the monasteries in Lough Erne in 837 A.D. For at least 400 years, therefore, these carvings laid in the ruins before a stone Romanesque style church was built.

About White Island

Megalithic Ireland: White Island Figures
Irish Antiquities: White Island Church
Megalithomania: White Island
Wikipedia: White Island, County Fermanagh

Journey to White Island

White Island is located in Lower Lough Erne in County Fermanagh, No. Ireland and is accessed by ferry from the marina in Castle Archdale Country Park three miles south of Kesh off the B82. The ferry is in service daily during July and August, and Weekends and Bank Holidays during April, May, and June.

Ordnance Survey Map (H1760)

Visitors Information

Visitors information may be found at website. General tourist information may be found at the Fermanagh Lakelands Tourism website.

Additional Photos of White Island

Sign for White Island Ferry, Castle Archdale Country Park Marina
Boat to White Island
Sign at White Island
Descriptive Sign for White Island Church
Approaching White Island Church
Entrance to Whie Island Church
White Island Figures
Close-Up of White Island Figures
Close-Up of White Island Figures
Close-Up of White Island Head Figure
Cross-Inscribed Stone, White Island
White Island Figures

Top of Page