The first church in Wells was established on the site in 705 A.D. by King Ine of Wessex, at the urging of Aldhelm, Bishop of Sherborne, in whose diocese it lay. It was dedicated to Saint Andrew. The only remains of this first church are some excavated foundations which can be seen in the cloisters. The baptismal font in the south transept is the oldest surviving part of the cathedral which is dated to ca.700 A.D.
Construction of the present building began in the 10th Century and was largely complete at the time of its dedication in 1239. It has undergone several expansions and renovations since then. It has been described by a visitor as "the most poetic of the English Cathedrals."
About Wells Cathedral
Wells Cathedral Homepage
Journey to Wells Cathedral
Wells Cathedral is located in the town of Wells in Somerset in southwest England. Wells is approximately 21 miles from the cities of Bristol to the north and Bath to the northeast.
New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia: Bath and Wells
Sacred Destinations; Wells Cathedral
Wikipedia: Wells Cathedral
New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia: St. Dunstan
Ordnance Survey Map (ST5505745936)
Visitors information for Wells Cathedral may be found at the Wells Cathedral website. General tourism information for Wells may be found at the Wells UK website. General tourism information for Somerset, visit the Visit Somerset website.
Additional Photos of Wells Cathedral
Entrance to the Wells Cathedral Grounds from the Town
Reader Board in Front of Wells Cathedral
The West Front of Wells Cathedral
Close-Up of West Front Towers, Wells Cathedral
Interior of Wells Cathedral Featuring the Scissors Arch
Close-Up of Scissors Arch in Wells Cathedral
Ceiling in Wells Cathedral
Altar in Wells Cathedral
Choir, Wells Cathedral
Medieval Misericord Dated Between 1330 and 1340, Wells Cathedral
The Wells Cathedral Astronomical Clock Dated from Between 1386 and 1392
Stone Commermorating King Ine of Wessex in Wells Cathedral
Interior of Cloisters, Wells Cathedral
Exterior of Cloisters, Wells Cathedral
Wells Cathedral Tower from the Cloisters