St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin, formally known as The National Cathedral and Collegiate Church of Saint Patrick, or in the Irish language as Árd Eaglais Naomh Pádraig, is the larger of Dublin's two cathedrals. Unusually it is not a sole seat of a bishop, as Dublin's Church of Ireland Archbishop has his seat in Christ Church Cathedral, with St. Patrick's being seen as the National Cathedral for the whole island.
Around 1191, the original, wooden Celtic St. Patrick's church on the site, which was outside the walls of Dublin, was raised to the status of cathedral. The present building, the largest church in Ireland, was built between 1191 and 1270 with a major rebuilding taking place in the 1870s.
After the Reformation in England, St Patricks became a Protestant Cathedral, although most of the population of the surrounding Pale remained Roman Catholics.
According to tradition St Patrick baptised several converts at a well in what is now the park adjacent to the cathedral (the site is marked).
About St. Patrick's (Dublin)
St. Patrick's Cathedral Website
Journey to St. Patrick's (Dublin)
St. Patrick's Cathedral is located at Saint Patrick's Close off of Patrick Street in Dublin, Ireland.
Wikipedia: St. Patrick's Cathedral
New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia: St. Patrick
OrthodoxWiki: St. Patrick
Ordnance Survey Map (O1533)
Visitors information may be found at the St. Patrick's Cathedral website. General tourist information is at the Visit Dublin website.
Additional Photos of St. Patrick's (Dublin)
St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin
Interior of St. Patrick's Cathedral
Site of St. Patrick's Well Outside the Cathedral
Back of St. Patrick's Cathedral