St. Molua's Oratory (sometimes referred to as St. Lua's Oratory) stands in the grounds of St. Flannan's Catholic Church. It originally stood on Friar's Island in the River Shannon, but it was removed and re-erected here when the island was flooded and submerged in the Shannon Hydroelectric Scheme in 1929.
The oratory consists of a nave, to which a chancel with its stone roof was added later. Both the west and south walls have lintelled doorways. The church was built probably some time prior to the 12th Century.
The oratory is named after St. Molua, an abbot and founder of Killaloe in County Clare, who died ca.609 A.D.
About St. Molua's Oratory
Irish Antiquities: St. Lua's Oratory, Killaloe
Journey to St. Molua's Oratory
St. Molua's Oratory is located near St. Flannan's Catholic Church on the R463 in the River Shannon town of Killaloe, County Clare, Ireland. Killaloe is connected to the town of Ballina across the river by a one-way bridge.
New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia: Killaloe
Clare County Library: Killaloe
Ordnance Survey Map (R701729 approx.)
Visitors information for Killaloe may be found at the Ireland Midwest Online website. General tourist information may be found at the County Clare Tourism website.
Additional Photos of St. Molua's Oratory
Descriptive Sign at St. Molua's Oratory
St. Molua's Oratory
National Monument Sign for St. Molua's Oratory
Interior of St. Molua's Oratory