St Moluag's Church (locally known by its Gaelic name of Teampull Mholuaidh) has stood in Eoropaidh, Isle of Lewis, since the 12th or 13th Century, possibly on the site of an older church. The church has a basic T shaped structure, with two small chapels on either side of the main body of the church. The southern chapel can only be accessed from outside.
There is a lot of speculation about its ancient origins: legend has it that St. Moluag, a 6th Century Irish Saint and a contemporary of St Columba, built a chapel here in the 6th Century A.D. Another legend has it that later, St. Ronan built a church on the site, but he found it difficult to live his quiet life of prayer here so he went instead to the Island of Rona, about 35 miles northeast of the Butt of Lewis.
The church fell into ruins but was restored in 1912, and is in use occasionally.
About St. Moluag's (Teampull Moluaidh)
Undiscovered Scotland: St. Moluag's Church (Teampull Mholuaidh)
Journey to St. Moluag's (Teampull Moluaidh)
St. Moluag's Church (Teampull Moluaidh) is in the village of Eoropaidh (Europie) located off B8014, which is off the A857, in the far north corner of Lewis, Western Isles, Scotland.
Wikipedia: Teampull Mholuaidh
Wikipedia: Saint Moluag
Wikipedia: (Isle of) Lewis
Ordnance Survey Map (NB519652)
Visitors information may be found on the Scotland's Churches Trust website. General tourist information may be found on the Outer Hebrides website.
Additional Photos of St. Moluag's (Teampull Moluaidh)
Road Sign for St. Moluag's Church
St. Moluag's Church from the Access Path
Entrance to St, Moluag's Church
Altar at East End of St. Moluag's Church
Altar Frontal Depicting St. Moluag, a Celtic Cross, and St. Ronan
Outside Door to Southern Chapel
View of Altar from the Southern Chapel
Inside Door to Northern Chapel
Back Wall Surrounding St. Moluag's Church
St. Moluag's Church