Saints and Stones: St. Margaret's (London)
Home
Saints
Stones

The Anglican church of St Margaret's is the parish church of the British Houses of Parliament in London and is located on the grounds of Westminster Abbey on Parliament Square. It is dedicated to St Margaret of Scotland.

Originally founded in the 12th Century as the parish church of the area around the Abbey, it was rebuilt from 1486 to 1523 and became the parish of the Palace of Westminster in 1614, when the Puritans of the 17th century, unhappy with the highly liturgical Abbey, chose to hold Parliamentary services in the more 'suitable' St Margaret's, a practice which has since continued.

About St. Margaret's (London)

Westminster Abbey: St. Margaret's Church
Wikipedia: St. Margaret's, Westminster

Journey to St. Margaret's (London)

St. Margaret's Church is located in the heart of London next to Westminster Abbey and opposite the Houses of Parliament. Take the London Underground and exit at St Jamesís Park (District and Circle Lines) or Westminster (Jubilee, District & Circle Lines).

Ordnance Survey Map (TQ2999679612)

Visitors Information

Visitors information may be found at the Westminster Abbey website. General tourist information may be found on the Visit London website.

Additional Photos of St. Margaret's (London)

Reader Board at St. Margaret's Church, London
Descriptive Sign at St. Margaret's Church, London
St. Margaret's Church, London
St. Margaret's Church, London
Clock on Exterior of St. Margaret's Church, London
St. Margaret's Church, London, with Big Ben in the Background


Top of Page