Saints and Stones: St. Govan's (Gofan Sant)
Home
Saints
Stones

On St Govan's Head, near Bosherton in Pembrokeshire, St. Govan's Chapel is a small medieval church clinging to the ragged rock halfway down the cliffs of a secluded headland. Access is by way of 52 stone steps from the top of the cliffs.

According to legend, St. Govan was a 6th Century hermit who established a cell for himself on this lonely spot in the fashion of early Celtic Christian monks. During the medieval period, the holy well and cell became a place of pilgrimage for cripples seeking a cure. The original cell was rebuilt as a small chapel in the 13th century. The chapel is a very simple rectangular building with a steeply pitched roof and bellcote.

About St. Govan's

Wikipedia: St. Govan's Chapel
Wikipedia: St. Govan
Visit Pembrokeshire: St. Govan's Chapel

Journey to St. Govan's

St. Govan's Chapel is located at St. Govan's Head south of the small town of Bosherton in south Pembrokeshire in southwest Wales. From Pembroke, take the B4319 south until the sign for Bosherton. As the road to St. Govan's Head leads across an artillery tank range and is often closed to traffic, check first to see if the road is open. Call + 44 (0)1646 662287 for access information.

Ordnance Survey Map (SR9662593011)

Visitors Information

Visitors information for St. Govan's Chapel may be found at the geograph.org.uk website. General tourist information for the area may be found on the Visit Pembrokeshire website.

Additional Photos of St. Govan's

Descriptive Sign at St. Govan's Head Parking Lot
St. Govan's Chapel
St. Govan's Chapel Entrance
St. Govan's Chapel Interior
St. Govan's Chapel Interior
Looking Out from St. Govan's Chapel
St. Govan's Head
St. Govan's Well
Rear of St. Govan's Chapel
St. Govan's Chapel


Top of Page