The present building is thought to be the third to stand on this site, which adjoins a small mound. This probably served as a burial ground even before the coming of Christianity. The first church is believed to have been a wooden edifice built in King Alfred's time (about the end of the 9th Century). It was quite natural that such a church should have been dedicated to St Cuthbert. Nothing remains of this first church, nor is there anything to remind us that a second church replaced it in the Norman period. The second church has been dated to between 1135 and 1165.
In the 13th Century, a third church was erected on the site and was the nucleus around which the present building has grown. Some parts of it still remain, notably the piers and arches of the nave arcade and a few windows, but the great restoration which took place during the 15th Century was to all intents and purposes a rebuilding, and the great church then assumed the dimensions and general appearance that it has today, although until 1561 the church had a central tower which either collapsed or was removed.
About St. Cuthbert's Church (Wells)
St. Cuthbert's Wells Homepage
Journey to St. Cuthbert's Church (Wells)
St. Cuthbert's Church is located in the town of Wells in Somerset in southwest England. Wells is approximately 21 miles from the cities of Bristol to the north and Bath to the northeast.
Wikipedia: Church of St. Cuthbert, Wells
New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia: St. Cuthbert
Ordnance Survey Map (ST5505745936)
Visitors information for St. Cuthbert's Church may be found at the St. Cuthbert's Wells website. General tourism information for Wells may be found at the City of Wells website. General tourism information for Somerset may be found at the Visit Somerset website.
Additional Photos of St. Cuthbert's Church (Wells)
St. Cuthbert's Church in Wells
Interior of St. Cuthbert's Church in Wells
Ceiling in St. Cuthbert's Church in Wells