Saints and Stones: Sligo Abbey (Mainistir Shligigh)
Home
Saints
Stones

Although commonly known as Sligo Abbey, the correct title for this structure is the Convent of the Holy Cross. It was in fact a Dominican Friary.

It was originally built in 1253 by the order of Maurice Fitzgerald, Baron of Offaly, (who is also credited with being the real founder of Sligo). It was destroyed in 1414 by a fire, ravaged during the Tyrone War in 1595 and once more in 1641 during the Ulster Uprising. The friars moved out in the 18th Century, but the abbey was restored in the 1850s.

The church has a nave with side aisle and south transept. The lancet windows in the choir probably date from the earliest phase, but the east window, the altar, and the tower date from the 15th Century. There is also a 15th century rood screen. The transept was added in the 16th Century. The sacristy and chapter-house to the north of the choir are both 13th Century buildings but the cloister and the other buildings surrounding it belong to the 15th Century.

About Sligo Abbey (Mainistir Shligigh)

Heritage Ireland: Sligo Abbey
Irish Antiquities: Sligo Dominican Friary
Ecclesiastical Ireland: Sligo Abbey, Co. Sligo
Wikipedia: Sligo Abbey
Wikipedia: Dominican Order

Journey to Sligo Abbey (Mainistir Shligigh)

Sligo Abbey is located on Abbey Street in the center of Sligo Town, County Sligo, Ireland.

Ordnance Survey Map (G6935)

Visitors Information

Visitors information may be found on the geograph.ie website. General tourist information may be found at this website and at the Sligo Tourism website.

Additional Photos of Sligo Abbey (Mainistir Shligigh)

Descriptive Sign for Sligo Abbey
Sligo Abbey
Sligo Abbey Tower
Sligo Abbey Nave with Side Aisle and South Transept
Sligo Abbey Cloister Arcade
Sligo Abbey Cloister Arcade
Sligo Abbey Cloister
Sligo Abbey HIgh Altar
Arch Decoration, Sligo Abbey
Carving on Column, Sligo Abbey
Part of Early 16th Century Tomb Monument, Sligo Abbey

Top of Page