Saints and Stones: Rathfran Priory
Home
Saints
Stones

The Priory of the Holy Cross was founded for the Dominicans in 1274.

The 13th Century church is a long rectangular structure with a small crucifixion panel over the west door and the remains of a fine triple lancet east window. Possibly as late as the 15th Century some of the lancet windows in the south wall were built up, and at the same time a separate aisle was added with a fine window. The nave was partially rebuilt in the 15th Century. To the north of the church, there were originally two cloisters, but only the foundations remain to show where they stood. The living quarters to be seen north of the church probably date from the 16th Century and incorporate part of the original sacristy. Bingham burned the friary in 1590. The friars remained in the neighbourhood down to the 18th Century, though not necessarily in the priory.

About Rathfran Priory

Irish Antiquities: Rathfran Dominican Friary
Sacred Landscapes: Rathfran Abbey
Wikipedia: Dominican Order

Journey to Rathfran Priory

Rathfran Priory is situated north of Killala on a minor road off the R314 in County Mayo, Ireland.

Ordnance Survey Map (G189328 approx.)

Visitors Information

Visitors and general tourist information may be found at the North Mayo Tourism website.

Additional Photos of Rathfran Priory

Descriptive Sign for Rathfran Priory
Rathfran Priory Near Rathfran Bay
Rathfran Priory
Interior, Rathfran Priory
Interior, Rathfran Priory
Window, Rathfran Priory
Window, Rathfran Priory
Interior, Rathfran Priory
Crucifixion Panel Over West Doorway, Rathfran Priory
Coffin Lid Inside Church, Rathfran Priory
Side of Rathfran Priory
Remains of Cloisters, Rathfran Priory
Remains of Cloisters, Rathfran Priory

Top of Page