Saints and Stones: Orphir Round Kirk
Home
Saints
Stones

The Orphir Round Kirk, also known as St. Nicholas's Church, was built in about 1123 and is thought to have been modelled on the rotunda of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.

Originally, the Round Kirk consisted of a circular nave of approximately 20 feet in diameter and an apse. The apse remains today, along with a small section of the nave's eastern section.

Also near the kirk are the remains of the excavated Norse Earl's Bu drinking hall.

About Orphir Round Kirk

Orkneyjar: Orphir Round Kirk
Historic Scotland: Earl's Bu and Church, Orphir
Undiscovered Scotland: Orphir Church and Bu
Orkneyjar: The Orkneyinga saga

Journey to Orphir Round Kirk

The Orphir Round Kirk is located in the Orphir parish off the A964 in the south of the Mainland, Orkney, Scotland .

Ordnance Survey Map (HY334043)

Visitors Information

Visitors information may be found on the Historic Scotland: Earl's Bu and Church, Orphir website. General tourist information may be found on the Visit Orkney website.

Additional Photos of Orphir Round Kirk

Historic Scotland Plaque
Descriptive Sign at Orphir Round Kirk
Orphir Round Kirk
Orphir Round Kirk
Orphir Round Kirk
Orphir Round Kirk
Directional Signs


Top of Page