Saints and Stones: Murrisk Abbey
Home
Saints
Stones

Murrisk Abbey was founded ca.1456 by the Augustinian Friars, and it quickly became the preferred starting point for pilgrimages up Croagh Patrick.

The abbey ruins consist of an L-shaped building representing the long and narrow church, the sacristy, and the chapter room with overhead dormitory. There is a beautiful east window with carved human heads on the wall outside. The south wall is crowned with unusual battlements and a number windows. There was a belfry tower at the west end of the church, inserted after the church itself was completed. However, the church outlived its new addition; all that survives of this tower now is a ribbed vault.

About Murrisk Abbey

Irish Antiquities: Murrisk Abbey
Wikipedia: Augustinians

Journey to Murrisk Abbey

Murrisk Abbey is located eight miles west of the town of Westport on the R335 in County Mayo, Ireland. The Croagh Patrick Visitor Centre, Teach na Miasa, is situated nearby in the village of Murrisk.

Ordnance Survey Map (L920828)

Visitors Information

Visitors information may be found at the geograph.ie website. General tourist information may be found at the Visit Westport website.

Additional Photos of Murrisk Abbey

Road Sign for Murrisk Abbey
Descriptive Sign for Murrisk Abbey
Ruins of Murrisk Abbey
Interior, Murrisk Abbey
Exterior of East Window, Murrisk Abbey
South Wall Windows, Murrisk Abbey
Ruins of Murrisk Abbey
Carved Head on South Wall, Murrisk Abbey
Carved Head on South Wall, Murrisk Abbey
Plaque on Murrisk Abbey Wall
Croagh Patrick Viewed from Mussisk Abbey

Top of Page