Founded c.500 A.D. by St. Illtud, the monastery at Llanilltud Fawr (present day Llantwit Major) was one of the earliest monastic schools in Britain.
St. Illtud's Church is really two churches: the West Church built where the original Celtic Church sttod, which contains stone memorials from the early years, and the East Church, built in the 13th Century. The East Church contains several medieval wall paintings. The West Church was rebuilt twice: once around 1100 A.D. and again in the 15th Century.
While little is known about St. Illtud, his monastic school became well-known. Many noteworthy saints studied here: St. Samson, who eventually became Abbot, St. Gildas, and St. Paul Aurelian, among others. Monks from this monastery established numerous churches and monasteries throughout Wales and in Brittany.
About Llantwit Major
Wikipedia: St Illtyd's Church, Llantwit Major
Journey to Llantwit Major
Llantwit Major (Llanilltud Fawr) is a small town along the Heritage Coast in the Vale of Glamorgan, Wales. It is situated about 20 miles southwest of Cardiff off the B4265.
Early British Kingdoms: Llanilltud Fawr-Home of St. Illtud
Megalithic Portal: St Illtud's Cross
Ordnance Survey Map (SS9653268780)
Visitors information for St Illtyd's Church in Llantwit Major may be found at the geograph.org.uk website. General tourist information for the area may be found on the Welcome to Llantwit Major website.
Additional Photos of Llantwit Major
Reader Board at St. Illtud's Church at Llantwit Major
St. Illtud's Church at Llantwit Major
Ruins of West Church, Llantwit Major
West Church Roof, Llantwit Major
Houelt Cross, Llantwit Major
Samson Cross, Llantwit Major
Effigy in West Church, Llantwit Major
The Reredos and East Window in East Church, Llantwit Major
Wall Painting of Mary Magdalene, Llantwit Major
St. Illtud's Church Graveyard, Llantwit Major