While much of Lady Kirk was erected in 1694, the renovation reused the foundations of a predecessor built in the 1200s. The south wall of the nave is largely from the original church. Another name for the church is St. Mary's Kirk.
The church is in two parts. The nave is rectangular, with at its west and a largely complete gable topped off by a bellcote. A line of holes in the gable suggest there was originally a gallery at this end.
About Lady Kirk
Historic Scotland: Pierowall Church
Journey to Lady Kirk
Lady Kirk is located on the northern edge of the main portion of the town of Pierowall on Westray.
Undiscovered Scotland: Lady Kirk
Canmore: Westray, Pierowall, Lady Kirk
Ordnance Survey Map (HY438487)
Visitors information for Lady Kirk (called Pierowall Church on its website) may be found at Historic Scotland. General tourism information for Westray may be found on the Westray and Papa Westray website. General tourist information for Orkney as a whole may be found on the Visit Orkney website.
Additional Photos of Lady Kirk
Approaching Lady Kirk
Historic Scotland Plaque, Lady Kirk
Entrance on the 12th Century Side of Lady Kirk
Gable Topped Off by a Bellcote, Lady Kirk