Saints and Stones: Cashel
Home
Saints
Stones

The Rock of Cashel, also known as the Castle of the Kings or St. Patrick's Rock, served as the traditional seat of the Kings of Munster for several hundred years prior to the Norman invasion. Most of the buildings that remain today date from the 12th and 13th Centuries.

The Rock of Cashel is also the site of the conversion of the King of Munster by St. Patrick in the 5th Century.

The 90 foot round tower, with its entrance 12 feet from the ground, dates from ca.1100. The Chapel of King Cormac (Cormac's Chapel) was consecrated in 1134, and is the most elaborate Irish Romanesque church in Ireland. The Cathedral is an aisle-less building of cruciform built between 1235 and 1270.

About Cashel

Heritage Ireland: Rock of Cashel
Irish Antiquities: St. Patrick's Rock, Cashel
Wikipedia: Rock of Cashel
Cormac's Chapel
New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia: Cashel
New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia: St. Patrick

Journey to Cashel

The Rock of Cashel is in the town of Cashel in south central Ireland at the crossroads of the N8 and N74 in the south of County Tipperary.

Ordnance Survey Map (S074408)

Visitors Information

Visitors information may be found on the geograph.ie website. General tourist information may be found at the Tipperary Tourism website.

Additional Photos of Cashel

Sign at Rock of Cashel
The Round Tower from Inside the Cathedral, Rock of Cashel
The Round Tower from Inside the Cathedral, Rock of Cashel
The Nave, Rock of Cashel
Arches in the Choir, Rock of Cashel
Round Tower, Rock of Cashel
Cormac's Chapel, Rock of Cashel
Inside Cormac's Chapel, Rock of Cashel
Inside Cormac's Chapel, Rock of Cashel
Sarcophagus Inside Cormac's Chapel, Rock of Cashel
Altar Tomb in North Transept, Rock of Cashel
Close-Up of Altar Tomb: Simon (left) and Thaddeus (right), Rock of Cashel
Carving Inside Cathedral, Rock of Cashel
View from Behind Rock of Cashel

Top of Page