Saints and Stones: Byland
Home
Saints
Stones

Byland was founded as a Savigniac house in 1134. Following the absorption of the order, it became a Cistercian abbey in 1147.

Byland was one of the "three shining lights of the North" with Fountains Abbey and Riveaulx Abbey, also in North Yorkshire. The church at Byland was one of the most impressive among the Cistercian Order.

Among other features of the ruins seen today are the cloisters, one of the largest in England, the well-preserved, colorful floor tiles, and the impressive west wall.

About Byland

English Heritage: Byland Abbey
Wikipedia: Byland Abbey
New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia: Cistercians

Journey to Byland

Byland Abbey is located near the village of Wass off the A170 on the Wass Bank Road east of Ripon in North Yorkshire, England.

Ordnance Survey Map (SE5483978939)

Visitors Information

Visitors information may be found at the English Heritage website. General tourist information is at the Welcome to Yorkshire website.

Additional Photos of Byland

Sign for Byland Abbey
West Wall of Byland Abbey
View East Down the Nave, Byland Abbey
View of the Nave Looking West, Byland Abbey
Arches in the Nave, Byland Abbey
Arches in the Nave, Byland Abbey
Presbytery with Tiles in Forefront, Byland Abbey
Floor Tiles, Byland Abbey
Floor Tiles, Byland Abbey
Capital of Column, Byland Abbey
Corbel on Side of Byland Abbey Wall
Archway, Byland Abbey
View of the Nave, Byland Abbey
View of the West Wall from the East, Byland Abbey


Top of Page